Monday, November 1, 2010

The Tea Route (Ο δρόμος του τσαγιού)


When I first moved to Greece, my friend Jamie introduced me to this adorable little tea shop.  For the past six months, I have brought all of my visiting friends to this place and it has been a big hit.  


Let's face it - Thessaloniki is a coffee-loving city.  But there is something so fabulous about tea, aside from its health benefits.  It is comforting and classy.  Today I spoke with Katerina (pictured on the left helping a customer) who informed me that the shop has existed for about 9 years.  Originally, the French owner used to bring tea over from Paris and other parts of Europe, and eventually decided to go into the tea business here in Greece.  At this time, tea was considered by Greeks to be mostly a remedy for sickness and not much more.  Now, Katerina says that Greeks have changed their mentality towards tea and credits Ο δρόμος του τσαγιού for helping to open people's minds to tea as an every-day drink.  Their most popular teas are of the green variety.  A favorite blend is the Μυρωμενος Θαμνος, a sweet and spicy tea.  I ordered a chai tea today called Τσάι  μυρωδικών that smells like Christmas.  I can't wait to try it!



I recommend that my visiting friends buy a bag of tea with a decorative tin in silver or gold.  For just 4E, it makes a great gift for somebody at home.


The Tea Room has a great website here with English translation if needed.  You can even order tea online...but visiting the shop itself is something you shouldn't pass up!  It's conveniently located at Χρυσοστόμου Σμύρνης 12 right off Nikkis by the White Tower.  If you're walking East along the water, take a left at Mangio and the shop will be a few blocks up on the right. 








1 comment:

  1. There used to be a tea shop in Athens I loved and took my friends, but sadly it shut down two years ago because Greeks never caught on and non-Greeks alone could not help keep them in business. The only good tea shop still in business is (not coincidentally) near the British Embassy.

    Good to hear Thessaloniki still has options.

    ReplyDelete