Monday, November 8, 2010

My favorite place to eat in Thessaloniki

I can't stop telling everyone how fabulous Greek food is.  Picking a favorite is tough - but in the past 6 months I have fallen in love with the Delicatessen.

You can find this gem at two locations in the city: The Mediterranean Cosmos food court, and right around the corner from Everest on Tsimiski (Kouskoura Street).  There are a lot of great options at the Cosmos food court (including what my friend Tony claims to be the best burger around - Simply Burger), but I choose this Cypriot souvlaki joint every time.  In Greece, it's easy to tell where the good food is.  Just look for a place swarming with people.  That definitely describes the ντερλικατέσεν.  And even though the place is chaotic, the people working the grill are always joking around with me and keeping the mood pleasant.  Here are my recommendations for a great meal:

- A few chicken/pork souvlaki
- A Haloumi cheese souvlaki
- Tirosalata (theirs is the BEST)
- Pita bread, onions, and tomato
- Fries topped with cheese or one of their famous baked potatoes

The original Kouskoura location



This sign cracks me up... 364 cm?

When my boyfriend came to visit me, this place was his favorite by far... even though we also went to some nicer tavernas.  He still talks about it, and I try to make him jealous, but he can always get me back with Taco Bell or Chipotle.  Even though I miss some of the food places from home, I will really miss this place when I'm in the States!

2 comments: