Thursday, December 9, 2010

A little culture for the walk home

Thought you'd never see swing dancing in Greece?  Think again!

The Thessaloniki Film Festival is on this week, and the city is so alive.  All of the center is lit up with Christmas lights, people are strolling along the sea in their winter coats, and the movie posters are everywhere.  I always love this city, but this week it's at its finest.

As I walked home from a little Christmas shopping in Agias Sofias, I encountered a large crowd gathered around the front of the church.  I found a portable sound system playing music from the 40's and several couples swing dancing on the sidewalk.  I recognized their moves from the good 'ole days when I sparsely attended my university's swing dance club: it was the "Lindy Hop" they were doing, a unique style of swing with a lot of flair.  There was something about this moment, standing there in the square among strangers taking in this dance that makes you feel transported back in time.  It's moments like these when I'm glad I don't happen to have my camera on me; being unable to capture it made it more special.


Anyway, as they finished I was handed this little piece of paper (shown above) advertising a Christmas Swing Ball for this Saturday at 8:00.  It's being presented by Lindy Hop Greece and features 2 live bands and a Lithuanian DJ (why not?).  Too bad I won't be here or I'd totally go!

I'll be out of commission for the next few weeks as I take some time at home with my loved ones.  I'll be back in early January, so meanwhile my friend Tony will be updating you on the city.  Until then!

No comments:

Post a Comment