Thursday, December 2, 2010

A reasonably-priced gym membership

November was a rough month for me and without wanting to sound like I'm on Oprah, I felt pretty homesick.  I was culture shocking even months after living here, and I felt tired and lethargic.  My solution: join a gym for a month!  I figured all the running would get those endorphins going and I'd be feeling much better physically.  It was true; but the month-long gym membership wasn't cheap.  And I didn't love the gym, either.

It would have been wise to ask around before I signed up for my current gym (Fitness Fun), but I found out something awesome yesterday that I have to share with you.

If you're looking for a reasonable gym membership, I heard about a great deal at "Gymnasium" (what an original name huh?) that allows people with a flexible schedule to work out for pennies.

Gymnasium has some of the best hours Thessaloniki has to offer.  It's open on Sundays and you can start as early as 7 AM... early for Greece!  It's conveniently right off Aristotle Square on Tsimiski in the mall, on the 3rd floor.  A normal monthly membership (not including spa) costs 88 Euros.  But for a year-long "happy hour" price (you can only go on from 7 AM to 1 PM, have to be out by 3 PM and unlimited weekend hours) you only pay 169 Euros.  So if we do the math, that's just about 15 Euros a month!  Not bad.  The place has really nice equipment, fantastic locker rooms, and a spa (you have to pay extra for this but it's SLAMMIN).  There is a 30 Euro start-up fee so if you join now for a year, 200 Euros.  What a deal compared to other gyms!

For more info, check out the website at Gymnasium.


The Spa - I told you it was off the hook!  There's a steam room and sauna as well.
Great state-of-the-art equipment

1 comment:

  1. I wish I lived in Thessaloniki too, I would totally get this membership and would also love a workout buddy!

    Will you be around there for Christmas?
    (My email is jceast22@gmail.com)

    Jacquline

    ReplyDelete